Monday, June 20, 2005

Dinner with Dad

Last week I went over to my Dad's for burgers on the grill. My Mom had to work and my oldest son had a friend sleeping over, so I left my husband with our two oldest children and I took my youngest (three months old) with me over to my Dad's. We sat out on the back porch and talked about various subjects. Remembering episodes from the past. Ideas for the future. Thoughts and concerns of the present. It was very enjoyable. And much needed...for the both of us, I imagine.

I have a pretty special relationship with my dad. I'm the oldest of three girls and probably the closest to him. We've worked together in the business world off and on for many years, so we share that in common. Also several years ago, he converted to Catholicism after being raised up and raising all of us in the Protestant Church. His concerns that led to his conversion are similar to mine so we share in that as well. And he enjoys writing. Maybe not in the same capacity as I do, but nonetheless we both enjoy communicating our thoughts that way.

When I was still living at home, we used to walk around the block in the evenings and we'd talk...more like, I talked while he huffed and puffed. I'd ride with him to business functions and we'd listen to motivational speakers on tape together and discuss our dreams and desires. We'd go out to eat a lot (since I can handle having chinese food almost as often as he does without getting sick of it) and again, we'd talk.

You see, my Dad's generally a thinker (and I'm a talker)...but I know the subjects he feels passionate about. And he knows mine. And usually, we can go on and on about them with one another for hours. Sometimes we do.

Lately I've been so swamped with projects, that I'm lucky to find time to sleep, let alone time to sit and relax outside of the stresses of my home. But this evening's interlude was a welcome interruption. Something I hope to repeat a little more often.

Do you have a family member or friend with whom you can share your common passions? Make a point to meet up with them this week...whether it be in person, over the phone or via email and discuss some of them. Sure, you're busy...we all are, but you too, will find connections like that to be welcome interruptions as well...I promise.

No comments: